BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, May 24, 2010

BEST DAY EVER!


Sunday was unbelievable! Each pastor was invited to a different church to preach so John, Shannon and I headed to church together. We were picked up by a pastor and his associate pastor and taken to a church an hour out of the city. WHAT A DRIVE!!! We pulled up to a church of sticks and a tin roof but I have to say one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen. We made a grand entrance as he pulled his car all the way up to the back of the church…everyone was already worshipping as they have probably already been there for the last two hours! We came in from the back and greeted people as we walked up to the front! So many smiles so many hugs!




We sat in the front as they gave John an African style Drum INTRO….



John came up and spoke. He again spoke on the woman at the well, taking a different approach and speaking of “What fills you?” Is it the things of this world or is it the word of God?
After his message they asked if John and I would come up and pray for those who needed prayer! We said sure. There had to have been over a hundred people in this room and over 80% got up and came forward.
For the next hour the worship team sang as we prayed over each one individually, over demon possession and sickness, wisdom in school and healing for tumors, headaches and stomach pain, convulsions and bad dreams. John and I became so overheated and began to feel sick as we felt the burden of these prayers.
After the service the pastor asked if we would like to join them at the prison to minister there. We said “SURE”! Not knowing what to expect….as we pulled up it became evident that this was no ordinary prison. These prisons were 12x12 round metal tins with grass roofing. I cannot imagine the heat of these huts in the Uganda summer as well as how many men are crammed in there at a time. I got out of the car and immediately made eye contact with a prisoner who was glancing at us through the chicken wire of his prison cell. I gave a smile and a wave and as he waved I turned my back to him and began to cry, I told John that I was unsure if I could go through with this. That it may be too much.



I asked him to pray…I took a deep breath and followed the church group into the clay hut where they met with the prisoners. We sat on a bench and waited….I prayed. Asking the Lord for protection, for peace, and most importantly that I would not immediately burst into tears once I made eye contact with them. I was burdened by their circumstance…not knowing their story but not caring. My heart went out to each one. Life in Uganda is hard and without the saving grace of Christ people are capable of the most horrific things. As the men entered I was relieved that there were so few and grateful that they all looked older then 20. They each sat down, some would curl up into a ball so they did not need to make eye contact, some would hide their faces behind a pillar, and some looked you directly in the eye and smiled. I prayed blessings over these men.



We did a short time of worship and then John gave the same message he gave to the church that morning….”What fills you?” and reminded them that only God can fill that void, not sex, drugs, or alcohol. That he doesn’t care what you have done, that all that can be forgiven. He cares about your heart. The pastor followed up with a story of Joseph….a man in prison who was not forgotten but instead was meant for great things!! He encouraged the men and prayed over them. Two came to accept Christ that day and I was truly blessed to be present as the heavens received two more brothers who we will get the chance party with someday!

Following that time they took us to an old widow’s home. A woman of their church that they care for. She welcomed us in, laid lace and doilies on the couches for us to sit. Served us a meal fit for a KING and left the room to eat with the other women on the floor of the kitchen. I was truly humbled! It is the custom of Ugandans that when guests come you wait on them hand and foot! The food was amazing and we were full! We prayed over her home, left her with a small financial gift and thanked her for her hospitality.




After they put a few chickens in the trunk, we loaded up into the car only to find out that the tire had a flat. So we hiked through town in search of a van to borrow. It was an amazing experience to literally walk through the backyards of these people’s homes, seeing the shops, feeling like a native.










We were able to get a van and head back, a trip that got us back about 6:30pm. WHAT A DAY!

0 comments: