BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wrapping Up...

I must first confess that my time has been much more limited on this trip than last, so sorry for not posting as much as usual.

Wrapping up is always the hardest thing to do. Our remaining days of leading the pastor's conferences and women's conference consisted of wrapping up teachings, answering many questions and trading contact info with all pastors and women who are interested in keeping in touch. The latter is very difficult for me. It's quite clear that white people (mzungus, as we are called) are viewed as walking talking atm machines. As a result, I get men coming to me all during the conference with written "prayer requests". It's letters from pastors requesting not so much prayer as money. On the last day of the conference, we get flooded with "prayer requests", some written, some verbal.

There's a great struggle that goes on in my heart over what an appropriate response is. Clearly, money is not the end-all fix that any church needs. Christ's Church is not held together by fat wallets, but by simple, abiding and active Faith in Christ Himself! That being said, money cannot be downplayed because it is money that gets things done physically here on earth. And who am I to look a brother or sister in the eye, and tell them that what we are offering is greater that money, when I know I'm going home to my furnished, structurally sound home, with two cars, a washer/dryer and an indoor kitchen? I can't...I mean, I struggle to look them in the eyes and say it. It's easy for someone like me. I know that by American standards, I'm really rather poor, and I'm content with that. But by global standards, I'm very wealthy.

I heard a statistic some time ago, that said that if you own a car, you are automatically among the globe's top 8% in regard to wealth. Or maybe it was if you own two cars...I really can't remember. But the fact is, I'm reminded each time I travel, just how much we take for granted. And it feels so cliche to say that. It's the usual response to any mission trip. It's what you're supposed to say, right?

But I want these pastors to see what they are truly rich in. The basic foundations of a solid and powerful church fellowship are already built into this Ugandan culture. Foundational things like hospitality, sincere love, sacrifice, diligence, passion, worship and faith; characteristics that most wealthy congregations struggle to maintain.

It's not a cop out...I firmly believe Matt. 6:33. And it's not to say that I do not intend to help out some of my brothers and sisters monetarily...I am and I will continue to do so as I sense the Spirit directing me. But I find it hard to show some pastors that what is truly valuable are the very things they are already gifted in...things which I find myself wanting for and begging for...things the church has forgotten to strive for.

It's so hard to say goodbye to these guys. God has moved powerfully through the teaching and worship and through the one on one relationships we have built. There has been conviction where there needed to be and encouragement as well. We were all mutually built up and mutually equipped to do the work of the Kingdom as God has called us. It was so good to meet old friends and make new ones. It's good to share in the work together and to witness God's hand at work on the other side of His earth. But the best is yet to come...

0 comments: